January 22, 2016

Saber Project, #1 Getting started

One thing that I mentioned in my goals for this year is making one of my all time favorite characters, Saber from Fate/stay night, as a custom Dollfie Dream ^^ This'll be a long-term project that might take a lot of time before being completed, but it'll be another fun thing to work on whenever I have the time and inspiration for it~ I thought it might be fun to show the progress and share my thoughts about this project every now and then :)


Obviously, Volks has released a Saber DD in pretty much all different versions, but the second-hand prices are insane and I just can't bring myself to pay that much, knowing that the original price has been a lot less. Also, none of the sculpts look like the perfect Saber in my vision. Volks' Saber sculpts don't have any special characteristic features and to me look a lot like some standard heads (DDH-07 and DDH-09), so I figured I'd try to create my own version :)


I bought a DDH-09 head that I could mod and customize to my liking without the fear of ruining a very expensive head that'd be hard to replace. I chose this head over the other option I had in mind (DDH-07) because after looking at various owner pictures, I felt like the 09 head would be more suitable for what I'm after. It has rounder face shape, but still doesn't look too immature. Volks' own Saber heads look a bit too baby-faced to me ^^;


(please ignore the random eyes here...)

I received the head some time ago, but I can't say much about it at this point... I'm still so new to DDs that I find it hard to imagine how the blank head will look with a faceup, it pretty much looks like an alien to me XD I need to wait for some MSC to arrive before Saber can get her faceup and I'm also still a bit unsure whether I'll try faceupping her myself or if I'll let Sarg do it for me... I guess we'll see about that after the MSC gets here :3

For now I only have Susumi's Dollfie Dream Sister body, but once I get Kasumi (DD Takane Shijou) home I'll also have a Dollfie Dream base body III, which is a bit taller than DDS, and Saber will be borrowing that for a while.

Finding the wig was easy, I just had to browse through Taobao and there was this wig precisely styled to look like Saber's hair! This same wig will work for almost all of her outfits, only Saber Lily has a different hair style and that one is available at the same Taobao store as well (in case I end up needing it as well).


I looked for suitable eyes as well, but didn't find ones that I'd be 100% happy with, so I decided to try out making my own eyes. I even looked at how to make urethane eyes, but thought that it might be a bit too challenging and handling all the chemicals scares me so I decided to take the safer route and go with acrylic eyes :) I ordered some eye bases from Ebay and once they get here, I can get started. Or actually, I can start designing the eyes on Photoshop earlier. I ordered the eye bases both in 22mm and 24mm, just to make sure that the eyes will fit perfectly and I can use the extras for making eyes for my other DD girls! DDH-09 head seems to have quite large, so I'm guessing that 24mm would work best for her. I only have a few pairs of 22mm eyes at home and they seem a bit too small.

I still haven't decided for sure, which of the dresses I'd like to make first. Saber Extra (red) and Lily (white) are my all time favorites, but lately I've been loving that gorgeous Alter dress as well... I guess it'll take a while before I can decide ^^;

There won't be any progress until I get all the stuff (MSC, eye bases, wig) home, but hopefully that won't take too long! I'm so excited and can't wait to be able to work on my Saber~ ♥

20 comments:

  1. Everything sounds so exciting!! Hope you can start soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah this is such a cool project! I always love seeing well-customized basic DD option heads :D :D Can't wait to see the results~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear~ ♥ I've browsed through many, many pictures of customized DD heads and it's amazing how different they can look with a different faceup and/or some little modding! I'm really excited about this project :3

      Delete
  3. The project sounds very exciting and interesting!!! Hope you can get her a body soon! Can't wait to see updates! :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :3 I think she'll have to share the body with another DD girl for a while, hahah... The heads are luckily easy and fast to change!

      Delete
  4. Oh this all sounds very exciting. I can't wait to see how she turns out. I've only recently been introduced to this anime so I actually know who Saber is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have no idea how long it'll take before she's anywhere near finished, but we'll see :) I love the anime and this character a lot, many people seem to be familiar with the series, but not many like Saber as much the other characters ^^;

      Delete
    2. Count me in as a Saber fan. I have a Cu-poche version of her which is rather neat. I actually didn't know the character wasn't liked that much. For some reason, I thought she was the most popular one out of the others as there seems to be an awful lot of figures released of her.

      Delete
    3. Yay for more Saber fans! ♥ I love the Cu-poche of her and would love to get that figure at some point too :) The magnetic bases of Cu-poches are so handy!

      There are indeed many, many figure releases of her, but I've noticed that people are often complaining about that, wishing there were more releases of the other characters and less of Saber.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a very creative and exciting project Safir. I really love your choice of wig, it's very elegant and I look forward to seeing your progress.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I thought I'd have to style a wig like that from scratch, but it was a pleasant surprise to find that wig with the correct style~ I hope I'd be able to share more progress soon!

      Delete
  6. Awesome project! Can't wait to follow this :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uuuuu!! She's going to be one pretty Saber knowing your and Sarg's skills!! (>3<)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fufufu sankyuu!! >3< I really hope I manage to get her look the way I want~

      Delete
  8. This is a very interesting project and good for inspiration because I've been dreaming of painting my own custom DD head too.
    Hoping you'll make a post on how you made the custom eyes! ^^

    The Fate/ -series seems intriquing, I've been meaning to play the games... all the character designs are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to hear if this project works also as an inspiration~ I'll definitely try to blog about every step along the way ^^ And we just discussed with Sarg that I want to make a DD faceup tutorial!

      I would love to play the games as well, so far I've only been able to enjoy the series through the anime! >3<

      Delete
  9. I look forward to seeing the outcome! Sounds awesome, and exciting! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope to share more of the project soon :)

      Delete