February 4, 2017

Desucon Frostbite 2017

I spent last weekend at an anime convention, Desucon Frostbite! Sarg didn't want to come this time (she prefers the summertime cons), so I traveled and stayed the night at the hotel with Tiinyan & The Dudes (also known as her brother and one of her brother's friends) :3

Unfortunately, this time I didn't take many photos... Partly because I wanted to focus on just enjoying the convention myself and partly because I don't have any good lens for photographing at indoor events with bad lighting, it's been really bugging me lately x_x I should do some research to see if there's an affordable lens that'd suit my needs...

Tiinyan took more photos than me, she has written about Saturday on her blog so check that out as well!

We arrived at the convention at around 10am on Saturday, just after the doors had been opened!

Naturally the first thing we wanted to do was to check out the sales hall! We had planned to go to listen to a choir performing anime songs right after that, but ended up being too slow at the sales hall and the performance had already started when we had seen only half of the sales stuff... So we decided to skip the performance and take our time going through the sales stuff. The hall was quite crowded every time we went there during the weekend!

There was also the "artist alley" where people had their own table for selling self-made art, like stickers, key chains, magnets, etc.


Took a photo of the salad that I ate on Saturday :D

The Finnish anime conventions usually have a Guest of Honor from Japan, someone from the anime/manga industry. This time it was Toshihiro Kawamoto, who is an animator and also the co-founder/director of the anime studio Bones. He has done character designs for series like Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain and also Noragami (which is my latest anime/manga obsession ♥). I really enjoyed listening to him talk about how the process of character designing goes and he even showed us some character design sketches from Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain! On Sunday he also showed photos of Bones' studio.

On Saturday evening, there were cosplay contests - European Cosplay Gathering preliminaries for solos and groups (which included a performance), and a "smaller" solo contest where only the costumes were judged. We sat quite far away, so I didn't even try to take photos with my camera... But luckily I found some videos from Youtube afterwards :D (None of these were taken by me)

This was one of the funniest cosplay performances that I've yet seen XD I grew up watching Disney movies and this brought back so many memories from my childhood ♥ They placed 2nd in the group category.

I also really liked this performance, even though I'm not familiar with the characters or even the series that they're from.

I'm not even a fan of the Hobbit or LOTR stuff, but thought that this was a good performance (and their costumes looked awesome as well). Sadly they didn't get placed :(

None of the solos for the ECG preliminaries really caught my attention, but my guess for the winner did go right!

The halftime show (titled "Anime on low budget") was the best thing ever, so many laughs XDD Most of it is in Finnish, sadly.

Couldn't find separate clips of the costume contest, but here's the whole thing in one video. Ultimate Madoka was my absolute favorite, the details on that dress were so gorgeous! *o* ♥ She placed 2nd in the contest.

There was only a short break before the AMV contest started :D So many hours of sitting, our poor asses were screaming, hahah... But still, didn't want to pass on seeing the AMVs! I really like them, not only as a form of art, but also because they can be a great way to find out about some new anime series or movies that you haven't watched before.

The judges chose this one as the Best Video!

This won the title of "Most Impressive Video" and actually got me interested about the anime it was about!

This was voted as the Audience's Favorite Video. Yuri on Ice, of course :'D But it's also a great and humorous video! (Song is in Finnish)

We also attended some panels during the weekend, this one was called "Anime, adulthood and mortgage and for me it was one of the highlights in this convention :D Basically, the person keeping the lecture talked about how the anime hobby changes when you become an adult. There were many humorous moments, but everything was also so true!

Me and Tiinyan both had a Pureneemo girl with us, here's a photo of them together ♥ Tiinyan's Fuuka on left, my Emi on right ^^ I also had little Miu with me. If you follow me on Instagram, you might've seen me post some photos from the convention featuring her, but I didn't take any proper photos of her with my camera.


The convention ended on Sunday evening with the ending ceremony, where the Guest of Honor for summer Desucon 2017 was announced.... And it's Yuuki Kaji! He's a voice actor, probably best known for voicing Eren from Attack on Titan. Following the announcement there were around 20 seconds of excited screaming and clapping (and some "NO WAY" yells as well hahah), so I guess many people were happy about this announcement XD It's awesome that Desucon managed to get such a big name as the Guest of Honor!


As for my con loot... I got such a cute plushie, some stickers, keychains and a notebook as a souvenir for Sarg ^3^ There were surprisingly few tempting plushies this time, but that was only a good thing for my wallet, hahah...

Overall, the convention was great and I enjoyed being in the company of Tiinyan & The Dudes :3 And actually, our next convention (where Sarg will be coming to as well) will be after just two weeks! ♥

16 comments:

  1. it looks like it was a blast :D!! Here they also bring nice anime related guests for cons but I've never gone to them haha :D! Wish conventions included more dolls too~ but the most they do is bring a few BJD collectors to display dolls on a table =_=... it seems like your conventions don't have that many doll things? Still, plushies and keychains are always fun :D! And I'm always amazed at cosplayer's talents to make intrincated outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was ^^ I wish there were more doll related things in these conventions too! There have been meet-ups sometimes, but that's about it, sadly...

      Delete
  2. I haven't been able to get rid of that song used on the Yuri on Ice video since yesterday. At least I found a translation online or it'd be indefinitely worse xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah XD Well it was stuck in my head for days too! Not sure if the lyrics make much sense when translated? XD

      Delete
  3. Varmasti oli hauskaa! Katselin noita asuja ja osa on todella hyvin tehty. Robin Hood on aina ollut lempifilmi, niin se oli hauskaa katsella se ensimmäinen video. Hoodeladi, Hoodeladi! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oli todella hauskaa! Cosplayasuja (etenkin juuri itsetehtyjä) on aina ilo nähdä ja ihailla coneissa~ Tuo Robin Hood esitys oli kyllä aivan mainio :D

      Delete
  4. WOW! Looks like such fun! Adorable swag! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like it was so much fun, i wish there were conventions like this in miy country. Another is one of my favourite animes, i think you might like it, if you ever watch it don´t marathon it as it is best to keep the suspense like for a day or two :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! Sorry to hear that there are not similar conventions in your country :/
      Actually, I watched Another already - it was awesome!! I had to watch all the episodes on the same day, didn't want to wait to find out what happens next X'D

      Delete
  6. Looks like you had a lot of fun and a lot of opportunity to splurge. I was surprised it's so big. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup we have quite big events here, considering how small country Finland actually is ^^;

      Delete
  7. Looks like you had so much fun!! And the costume contests, wow!!
    I wish they'd do that sort of stuff in my country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did ^^
      Hope you'd be able to visit a similar event in your country someday too!

      Delete
  8. Looks like a great time!
    I love your Pokémon loots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And great time it was!
      Heheh thanks x3 The conventions always seem to be full of Pokémon stuff~

      Delete